Visit the mountain Montserrat, the most important spiritual center of Catalonia, on a full-day private tour. Its catholic sanctuary accommodates the sculpture of Virgin of Montserrat. It’s monastery is 1,000 years old.
You and your small group will travel from Barcelona city to the Sanctuary of Montserrat by train and rack railway. It’s a journey which will take you from the big city’s seaside to the Catalonian countryside, around 3,280 feet (1,000 meters) high.
Once in Montserrat, you’ll take the funicular to Santa Cova and walk along the path that leads to the chapel which protects the cave where the sculpture of the Virgin of Montserrat was supposedly found. During the walk, you’ll see the marks of Modernism art.
Go back to the sanctuary and monastery of Montserrat where you will visit the Renaissance Basilica with the wooden image of the Mother of God of Montserra, also known as “La Moreneta” because of her dark skin. Then listen to the oldest European children’s choir: La Escolanía.
After having lunch, take another funicular for an spectacular short trip to the top plains of the mountain where you can enjoy the incredible views. You’ll also learn how Montserrat was born, geologically speaking, and visit the old chapels of Sant Joan and Sant Onofre.
• Tickets of all means of transport (train, funiculars, cog railway)
• Private guide
What’s Not Included:
• Lunch and drinks
Good to Know:
• The queue to visit the sculpture of the Virgin of Montserrat can sometimes delay the tour for more than an hour. Consequently, the guide will decide if it’s worthwhile to visit the virgin or continue on to the next stop.
• La Escolania (children’s choir) doesn’t sing on Saturdays, some bank holidays, and when it’s on tour to other cities and countries. There’s the possibility of doing a tour on a day that Escolania doesn’t perform.
• Comfortable shoes recommended
• The tour might be canceled because of the bad weather. In that case, we’ll suggest an alternative date.
• We’ll refund the whole cost of the tour if the client cancels it at least 8 days before the tour’s date.
• We’ll refund half of the cost if it’s canceled between 4 and 7 days before the tour date. There won’t be any refund if the cancelation is made 3 days before the tour date or less.